Veteran's Day
Today I went to 3 different bases searching for Veteran's Day cards. 2 of them were Marine Corps bases, and 1 was an Air Force base. There is Navy and Army bases here as well. The Navy one is more of a port, and the Army one I don't remember how to get to. But there was no cards. They have a card for anything else you can think of, but not Veteran's Day. America doesn't give enough credit to our veteran's in the first place, but they can't even make a folded peice of paper? Geeze... Am I just wierd that I want to send my dad and my husband's grandpa a card to say thank you for serving? My husband is serving now and is contemplating MECEPS, or just singing another contract with what he's doing now. Will he be thanked for his service in combat 20 years from now? It is just a card, but it's the thought of why I want to send one. So I guess I will make them myself.
Michelle, As a Rescue Worker, our organization was in the BIG (like 3 mile long!) parade here today. After it was all said and done, I was waiting for my son's Cub Scout troop to return from their position in the Parade. Before they arrived, I saw an older Gentleman shuffling across the parking lot, wearing an old sailors cap. I walked up, and he had on a VFW vest. "Sir, Thank You." was all I said. He turned and looked for a second. We looked each other over, I stuck out my hand and said again, "Thank You for serving. Were you in the War?" As he took my hand he smiled and replied, "Yup, World War Two." I stop. Before me was Living Breathing Walking Talking History. "We owe you alot, Thanks." He just smiled. "No, Thank You." was his reply.
Believe me Michelle, as long as my wife and I are around, there will ALWAYS be people who will remember your Father, Grandfather, and your Husband. Those Men are truly Heros, not just once a year on Veteran's Day, BUT EVERYDAY!
Amen to that. We should do something about cards to honor our veterans. There should be ample choices out there for everyone who has a loved one who is either serving now, or has served in the past.!!! I'm disgusted that there are not! Good post, Michelle.
Post a Comment
<< Home